The following "rights" aren’t mandated by law, but represent your understanding and commitment to ensuring that older persons who are blind or visually impaired have equal access to your agency’s or organization’s programs and services.
- • When people who are blind or visually impaired are introduced to our program, they will be given an orientation tour of the building or facility so they become aware of structural features, landmarks they can use to orient themselves, and potential hazards.
• Older people who are blind or visually impaired will be treated with dignity and courtesy. Their level of independence and capabilities, as well as their needs for assistance will be respected.
• Older people who are blind or visually impaired are entitled to have all aspects of the program explained and described to them.
• Older people who are blind or visually impaired will be encouraged to move around the building unaided, to take part in a full plan of activities, and to do everything as independently as possible.
• Older people who are blind or visually impaired will be encouraged to participate in outings and trips, and where assistance is needed, a buddy system or other assistance will be provided.
• The environmental needs of older people who are blind or visually impaired such as appropriate lighting and the safe arrangement of furniture to minimize obstacles will be taken into consideration.
• People who are blind or visually impaired will be informed in advance about changes in the environment, such as rearrangement of furniture, so that they can reorient themselves.
• Written announcements that apply to everyone will be provided to people who are blind or visually impaired in accessible media in large print, Braille, or on audiocassette, whenever possible, these announcements will be read by staff members to older persons whose sight is impaired.
Staff will inform people who are blind or visually impaired of the vision-related rehabilitation services available to them in the community, and every effort will be made to arrange for and ensure access to these services.