WASHINGTON COUNCIL OF THE BLIND
LIGHT OF OPPORTUNITY!
November 7, 8 and 9 2013
RED LION AT THE PARK
United Blind of Spokane
All WCB meetings are open to members and non-members alike. The WCB is pleased to offer this program to assist you in locating all activities of this convention along with times and room assignments. Throughout the general sessions, the Friday luncheon, business meeting and banquet, door prizes will be given out to those registered for the convention and in attendance at the time their name is drawn, unless working directly on behalf of the convention.
This year all convention related events will take place in the Parkside Tower.
Thursday November 7, 2013
- 3:00 PM-6:00 PM The volunteer Desk will be open, sponsored by the Inland Northwest Lighthouse (Parkside Tower entrance.
- 3:30 PM-4:30 PM Information/Registration desk open, Pre-Registration only (Parkside Tower Foyer)
- 3:30 PM-4:30 PM WCB Welcome Lounge: Here’s your opportunity to go over the program, buddy up with a new friend or meet up with an old one, and maybe even find a partner for dinner. – hosted by the United Blind of Spokane (Audubon)
- 7:00 PM Pre-convention Board Meeting (Riverfront C)
- 9:30 PM Resolutions Committee meeting, following the Board meeting – Facilitator: Denise Colley, Chair, Resolutions Committee (Riverfront D)
- 9:30 PM Constitution & Bylaws Committee meeting, following the Board meeting – Facilitator: Frank Cuta, Chair, Constitution & Bylaws Committee (Riverfront C)
- 10:00 PM Hospitality: Come socialize with other conventioneers over a drink, snack and good conversation. – Sponsored by the Peninsula Council of the Blind (Sky Line Ballroom)
Friday November 8, 2013
- 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM Information/Registration desk open (Parkside Tower foyer)
- 7:00 AM – 4:00 PM Volunteer Desk open, sponsored by the Inland Northwest Lighthouse (Parkside Tower entrance.
- 7:30 AM General breakfast (Riverfront AB)
- 7:30 AM First-timer breakfast (Riverfront D)
- 7:30 AM Presidents breakfast, for Presidents only! (Audubon)
- 8:00-10:00 AM Exhibits set up, vendors only (Sky Line Ballroom)
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM Exhibits: No need for a catalog or online order when you can peruse the many products and services presented here. (Sky Line Ballroom)
- 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM Silent Auction Open: Bid on some great items and help raise funds for WCB! (Sky Line Ballroom)
- 9:00 AM-4:00 pm One-on-One Computer Training, Al Yardley (253) 223-2069, Reservations Required (Willow 1)
- 9:00 AM-4:00 PM One-on-One I-Phone training, Randy Builder (206) 579-0956, Reservations Required (Willow 2)
- 8:45-11:50 AM General Session (Riverfront C)
- 8:45 AM Call to order – Cindy Van Winkle, President, Washington Council of the Blind; Presentation of the Colors: Fairchild Air Force Base Honor Guard; Invocation: Rev. Earl Dannen, Faith Bible Church, Spokane; Welcome to Spokane: David Condon, Mayor, City of Spokane; Welcome from the host chapter: Danielle Maher, President, United Blind of Spokane.
- 9:00 AM President’s report – Cindy Van Winkle, President, Washington Council of the Blind.
- 9:20 AM Nominating Committee report-Alco Canfield, Chair, WCB Nominating Committee.
- 9:30 AM Constitution and Bylaws Committee report – Frank Cuta, Chair, WCB Constitution and Bylaws Committee.
- 9:40 AM “Driving Home Your Point: Making Your Public Transit, Paratransit and Pedestrian Access Advocacy Count”–highlighting strategies which you and your
local chapters can use to advocate for the services you need in your
home community. – Presenter: Ron Brooks, Manager, Accessible Transit
Services, Valley Metro, Phoenix, AZ.
- 10:10 AM You Don’t Have to See to Host: Hear about the experiences of a blind couple hosting a Foreign Exchange student. – Jeff Thom, First Vice President American council of the Blind.
- 10:25 AM Break
- 10:40 AM Accessible Prescription Labeling: what it means and what you can do, facilitator Marlaina Lieberg, Second Vice President American council of the Blind. Panelist: Mitch Pomerantz, Immediate Past President, American Council of the Blind; Lainey Feingold, ESQ, Structured Negotiation Attorney .
- 11:10 AMCompetitive Sports for the Blind: To win or to lose is not the question; rather, it’s about being in the game, being part of a team, and challenging oneself. –
Presenters: Troy Leeberg, Beep Baseball; Greg Szabo, Goalball; Tim McCorcle, Ski for Light ; Maria McCully, Blind Bowling.
- 11:50 AM Break
- 12:00 PM Awards Luncheon – MC: Lori Allison, Chair, WCB Convention Committee; presentation of internal WCB Awards: Julie Brannon, First Vice President, Washington council of the Blind (Riverfront A-B)
- 1:30 PM Inland Northwest Lighthouse Tour, meet in the Parkside Foyer 5 minutes ahead of your scheduled tour time (reservations required).
- 1:30 PM 2 concurrent break out sessions:
- Shop ‘Til You Drop: If you’ve got the money, we’ve got the way to spend it. Explore the ways technology and self advocacy can assist in making your experience the best it can be; covering Amazon, QVC, Ebay, and more. Ask questions and learn valuable shopping tips from our panelists. Sponsored by the United Blind of Seattle (Riverfront C)
- Gadgets and Gismoes for the Golden Years, Wobbley on your feet" Need new hints about organizing your life? Hearing problems? Newly diagnosed with diabetes or high blood pressure? This seminar is for you. The facilitator will focus on some of the major health and safety concerns of seniors and demonstrate some daily living techniques and tools to reduce stress in your life. – Presenter: Raychel Callary, Lilac Blind Services Certified Orientation & Mobility Specialist. (Riverfront D)
- 2:45 PM Break
- 3:00 PM 2 concurrent breakout sessions:
- Gettin’ Techie with It, Show and Tell: Come and tell us about your favorite
apps and show off devices that you use. If you’re curious about technology,
this is the perfect breakout for you! Facilitator: Meka White, Second Vice President, Washington Council of the blind. Sponsored by the Peninsula Council of the Blind (Riverfront C)
- Preparing to Impress: This mock interview session will last 90 minutes and is intended for the job seeker. – Presenter: Kevin Daniel, Sr. Director of Strategic Recruiting, Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc. Sponsored by the United Blind of Southwest Washington (Manito-Audubon)
- 7:30 PM Annual WCB Showcase of Talent: come and enjoy the talents of many of our conventioneers. – Host: Malissa Hudson, Secretary, United blind of Seattle. (Riverfront C)
- 9:00 pm Good Old Fashion Sing-Along, directly following the Showcase of Talent. (Riverfront C)
- 9:00 PM Life Members Reception, for WCB Life members only, hosted by the WCB President (Willow)
- 9:30 PM Hospitality: Come socialize with other conventioneers over a drink, snack and good conversation.- sponsored by: United Blind of the Tri-Cities (sky Line Ballroom)
SATURDAY, November 9, 2013
- 7:00 AM – 12:00 PM Registration/Information desk open (Parkside foyer)
- 7:00 AM – 1:00 PM Volunteer Desk open, sponsored by the Inland Northwest Lighthouse (Parkside Tower entrance.
- 7:00 AM Guide Dog Users of Washington State breakfast/business meeting. Sponsored by South King Council of the Blind (Riverfront D)
- 7:30 AM General breakfast (Riverfront A-B)
- 8:45-11:50 AM General Session (Riverfront c)
- 8:45 AM Call to Order and Announcements – Cindy Van Winkle, President Washington Council of the Blind.
- 8:50 AM ACB Connection: learn what’s happening on a national level with the American Council of the Blind. – Presenter: Jeff Thom,First Vice President, American Council of the Blind.
- 9:20 AM The Jobs People Do: a panel discussion. Facilitator: Sue Ammeter, Board Member, Washington Council of the Blind; Panelists: Shannon Curry, Reader’s Advisor, Washington Talking Book and Braille Library, Seattle, WA; Gloria Walling, Owner/Operator, Oasis Café, Tacoma, WA; Mei Ling Wong, Psychologist, Office of Counseling and Psychological Services, Eastern Washington University, Cheney, WA.
- 10:10 AM A Growing Workforce in Spokane: Learn about the Inland Northwest Lighthouse for the Blind – Presenter: Shawn Dobbs, Development and Public Relations Director, The Lighthouse for the Blind, Inc.
- 10:20 AM Break
- 10:35 AM Plan to Work Can Help You!: Learn what Services plan to Work offers to recipients of a Social Security disability based benefit. – Presenter: Emma Henselbecker, Community Work Incentive Coordinator, Plan to Work, Spokane, WA.
- 11:00 AM State of the State–The Big Three: Get in the know concerning the three agencies serving blind people in our state. – Presenters: Danielle Miller, Program Manager/Librarian, Washington Talking Book & Braille Library (WTBBL); Dean O. Stenehjem, Superintendent, Washington State School for the Blind (WSSB); Michael MacKillop,, Assistant Director, Department of Services for the Blind (DSB).
- 11:50 AM Adjourn
- 12:00 PM General Lunch (Riverfront A-B)
- 12:00 PM GDUWS lunch and program: Learn about Independence Guide Dogs (IGD), the first Seattle based organization raising, training and placing German Shepherd guide dogs through its groundbreaking “Home to Harness” and “LIFE Training” programs. – Presenter: Toby Willis, IGD President (Riverfront D)
- 1:30 PM WCB business meeting: In memoriam; elections; adoption of WCB budget; resolutions; constitution and bylaw amendments; old business; new business. (Riverfront C)
- 4:30 PM Adjourn
- 5:30 PM Scholarship Reception: Come meet the 2013 scholarship winners and enjoy light refreshments. Sponsored by: WCB Scholarship Committee (Riverfront D)
- 6:00 PM No host social hour and WCB Silent Auction (Riverfront Ballroom)
- 7:00 PM WCB annual banquet – Mistress of Ceremonies:Marlaina Lieberg, Second Vice President, American Council of the Blind; Invocation: Steve Vandecar, President United Blind of the Tri-Cities; Scholarship presentations: Tim McCorcle, Chair, WCB Scholarship Committee; Awards presentations: Julie Brannon, First Vice President, Washington Council of the Blind; Banquet address: Jeff Thom, First Vice President, American council of the Blind. Sponsored by the Pierce County Association of the Blind. (Riverfront Ballroom)
- 10:00 PM Hospitality: Come socialize with other conventioneers over a drink, snack and good conversation. – Sponsored by: the United Blind of Seattle (sky Line Ballroom)
SUNDAY, November 10, 2013
- 9:00 AM Box lunches will be ready for pick up; for those riding on the buses, the box lunches will meet you on board-pre-orders only (Parkside Foyer)
- 9:30 AM The Bremerton/Tacoma Bus will depart. – Be at hotel entrance 20 minutes prior for pre-boarding.
- 10:30 AM The Seattle Bus will depart. – Be at hotel entrance 20 minutes prior for pre-boarding.
The Washington Council of the Blind extends a heartfelt thank you to the following groups and individuals who helped make this annual convention a success:
the 2013 Convention Committee who spent countless hours putting the program together and worked behind the scenes, our host chapter the United Blind of Spokane, Rick and Deb Lewis and ACB Radio for streaming the convention over the internet, Frank Cuta for his work with the sound system and recording, Carol and Chris Brame for overseeing the Silent Auction, Byron and Holly Kaczmarski the door prizes and Karyn Vandecar volunteers, all of the many presenters who made our program complete, each and every volunteer who gave of their time and kindness, those who assisted with hospitality, the welcome lounge, registration and door prizes, the chapters, businesses and individuals who contributed to the door prize pool and silent auction, Exhibits Coordinator Kim Moberg and the vendors who came to share their products and services with us, and to each and every conventioneer who shared in this special weekend.
A Very Special Thank You To Our Convention Partners, through whose Sponsorships provided enormous support:
Valley Costcco, Spokane;
Pierce County Association of the Blind.
Inland Northwest Lighthouse for the Blind;
South King Council of the Blind.
Peninsula council of the Blind
United Blind of the Tri-Cities;
United Blind of Spokane;
United Blind of Southwest Washington.